Liverpool St Helens produced another confident display with a number of excellently worked tries to see off long-time friends and rivals New Brighton. Heavy overnight rain had threatened the fixture but it went ahead with the rain softened ground surprisingly having little impact on what was an open game of rugby. With a referee who let the game flow it was a hugely enjoyable afternoon. 

The first half belonged to LSH after taking the lead in the fourth minute when lock forward Paddy Royle broke through from a line out and was unchallenged as he galloped over the line to score, converted by Matt Cunliffe 0-7 Five minutes later after an attacking scrum close to the New Brighton line, fly half Alex McClurg nipped nicely through to score under the posts, Cunliffe converted 0-14. The hosts showed their intent soon after when bursting through the LSH back line to score, converted 7-14. 

LSH's third try in the 23rd minute followed a move almost the length of the field, started by Chris Hull and continued by a number of supporting runners, a feature of the Moss Laners’ play on this day and a major contributing factor in the win. Ultimately this one ended with Matt Cunliffe scoring to the right of the posts, converted 7-21. The bonus point try came eight minutes later following a neat passing move between McClurg, Matt Cunliffe and full back Matty Johnston, who took the final pass to score.  Converted 7-28. A few minutes before the break the travelling Moss Lane Faithful were treated to an even better try involving Alex Kean, Dave Cunliffe, Johnston and then Dave Cunliffe again, for the talismanic centre to cross for a fine score. Converted 7-35 at half time. 

The second half was a far more even affair with both sides scoring two tries and New Brighton showing great determination. Dan Webster extended LSH's lead when scoring from close range ten minutes after the restart 7-40 before the home side enjoyed their best period of the game. They tested the LSH defence for over fifteen minutes before it ultimately cracked, 12- 40.  

The next few minutes should be remembered by teenage winger Connor Thompson for a long time. After an LSH attack had broken down, the ball was fly hacked out of the New Brighton 22 and chased by a blue and white quartered shirt. Giving him a good 10 metre start, Thompson caught and passed his man just as the ball crossed the LSH try line and saw the ball to safety. No more than two minutes later in LSH’S next attack, the youngster rounded three New Brighton defenders to score LSH's seventh try. Matt Cunliffe landed his sixth conversion 12- 47. 

In keeping with the flow of the game New Brighton were rewarded with their third score just before the end. 19-47. 


15 Johnston 14 Kean 13 Cunliffe M 12 Cunliffe D 11 Thompson 10 McClurg 9 Wilson (capt) 1 Gore 2 Houlton

3 Fryer 4 Royle 5 Potter 6 Hull 7 Forster 8 Webster 16 Williamson 17 Burrows 18 Kearns

John Williams